Monday, July 1, 2019

June 30, 2019 Point Peele, Lemington, the southmost tip of mainland Canada

June 30, 2019 drove to Peele in Lemington, Ontario. Pelee is  the south most tip of Canada.  One mistake we shouldn't have done was use the phone gps. The phone gps took us on the route with least traffic i.e. routes in the country and not the highway and we took much longer to reach. But we stuck to the highway (401) returning and took lesser time. 
Was this place worth the long drive? I am not sure. 
The plus points are: I saw birds I generally don't see in other places I have visited in Ontario. I saw a baby turtle, in the lake among the marsh plants when  canoeing. I saw lovely yellow lotus buds in lake Erie. I saw a large bird, maybe a pheasant on the road when we were driving on the narrow strip, reaching the south most tip of Canada...the Kanyakumari of Canada!
The weather was simply splendid...not hot, not humid, not cold, not rainy. Just perfect. The only negative was the bugs...some sort of mosquitoes which were biting  and some terrible bug which looks like a housefly but stings like a bee! The drive in the country side was lovely. I saw barns which are a source of joy to me. 
I saw some farm vehicle with gigantic wheels! Our car could have gone under it without scratching the roof. I wonder what it was. It reminded me of those monster truck which have gigantic wheels. 

Below is a snake which wriggled onto the boardwalk from lake Erie and wriggled back into the lake.


I saw at least 6 nests like this with babies and parents . This is the spot where we wait for the free shuttle to pick us up and drive us to our car parking. Observe the babies with mouth open in this nest? This is the first time I am seeing such a thing.







Three of us rented a canoe and went through the marshes. I was thrilled to see a baby tortoise swimming between the lotus plants in the lake when canoeing.  Another simply strolled on the boardwalk.
 One pleasant illusion when canoeing is that of the lotus leaves following us ...but they are actually fixed and it's only the canoe gliding forward.

Unlike lake Ontario in Toronto, the Erie lake's water is not too cold and lots of people were in the water, frolicking. Not a single shell on the beaches. But large and small pebbles and driftwood and fallen trees.





No comments:

I will never go to Bombey Bhel at Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada ever again! It's an expensive rip off, serving sub-par tasting food!

 Today, October 14, 2023 I got chicken vindaloo paying 22$...All I got was 2 small pieces of chicken, 3 pieces of potato....and. very averag...