Saturday, April 28, 2018

Beechwood Drive, Lower Don Parklands , Toronto

April 28th 2018. 6.00pm
Went for a walk to the Lower Don Parklands after parking at the end of Beechwood drive. There was definitely a cold nip in the air this evening and maybe that's why there weren't many cyclists and walkers. And for the first time today, I got the idea of walking backwards.  I walked backwards for more than a kilometer! 
I will not be able to repeat this, anytime soon, as the start of  warmer temperatures will bring more walkers and cyclists. 
I discovered that walking backwards feels different and not as automatic as walking forwards. I seemed to be using a different part of my legs and feet. I could not have done this without my husband who gave me heads up when  someone was approaching.   

Here are a few photos from the walk.

 Above is a new graffiti. New in the sense that I had not seen it when I walked last here.
Tar road in the park slowing getting destroyed by the weather.



As you enter the park from the end of Beechwood drive and look left, you may spot a pile of stones, looking like a destroyed house, which I am sure it is.  This stone and brick fireplace above, is all that is left of the house.  Maybe the rest of the house was built of wood and destroyed in a fire?  The 'remains-of-this-house' is steps away from the Don river, and surrounded by trees, grass, plants and  meadow-land. 
Imagine living in this house a hundred years ago...surrounded by nature and no traffic noises. Birds, rabbits, deer, fox and other wildlife at your doorstep.  Maybe the family living here fished in the Don river, hunted in the wildness outside their home and also picked berries from the surrounding land! 

Below are more photos of this fireplace part of the house.

 Below you can see plants and trees growing on this or in this house. The photos below are of the same fireplace but from the sides and back. The back and sides of the fireplace is a lot more destroyed than the front portion. I hope the government does something to stop this from disintegrating fully. 

But if you want to see a well-preserved house from ancient days in the same area, go to Todmorden Mills Heritage site, which is less than 2 miles from this spot. You can peep through the windows of the preserved house and see the furnished house of the family who lived there more than a hundred years ago. 



All in all, a nice walk. Though I did get into a fight with my husband who asked me to stop acting 'crazy' when I wanted to walk backwards. I did not let him deter me! Why do I have such a short temper ??? I could have ignored him and walked backwards instead of biting his ears off.
*****************************************************
April 29th 2018, evening walked in same place (Lower Don Parklands) but different trail..took the trail to the south toward pottery road. Here are a few photos.
Today was a lovely day with warmer weather. Ergo, LOTS of people...walkers, cyclists, dog-walkers. 
I didn't even try to walk backwards today...the paths which were all ours yesterday, had to be shared today with many many folks. 24hours only but what a difference!


Field of this lovely blue flower called Scilla Siberica...I found the name in 'Ontariowildflowers.com'. Are the white ones genetic anomalies...albino scilla sibericas?








Above is a plant with bright red stems...Googling it, I think it is Red Twig Dogwood. I find it difficult to photograph this and this is the best photo I could take. Photographing this plant was like photographing thin sticks spread apart. Without 'thickness' or body to this plant, meant that the things in the background will intrude into the picture..like plants behind it which are green, brown, and the tree trunks and blue sky.

In less than a month, this tree will be full of leaves and not like this.


I had complained in the past that the Don river is thin...like a thirsty man pissing, and was envious of the thick flow of the Humber river in the west. But today the Don river was flowing  thick and strong. Also,  the river was brown yesterday and today it's green! I wish I had photographed it yesterday too. 
 Bridge across the River Don
Above is the underside of the bridge over the Don river.

Why do I have this compulsive need to photograph Graffiti???


No comments:

I will never go to Bombey Bhel at Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada ever again! It's an expensive rip off, serving sub-par tasting food!

 Today, October 14, 2023 I got chicken vindaloo paying 22$...All I got was 2 small pieces of chicken, 3 pieces of potato....and. very averag...