Tuesday, November 3, 2015

CRIME FICTION SET IN SWEDEN


Sitting at a boring meeting, I spotted a Kurt Wallender book in front of a psychiatrist who was at the opposite end of the table. Curious, I  borrowed the book and that was how I discovered the Inspector Wallender Series set in Sweden by Henning Mankell. 

I am unclear about why I like these books as they are not my type i.e. not fast paced.  Yet I have read every single one in this series. I think I liked these books as Wallender has many behaviours which make him so ordinary...he's forgetful, not too neat, has difficulty getting along with both his father and his daughter(not to mention he's divorced). He's not doing so great financially and that is one aspect of crime fiction heros that I simply adore! I am always boiling at the corruption among Indian elite and the Indian police and it feels so good to see (at least in fiction) a policeman who is not rolling in money and who's  honest. I bought many of the books thinking that I will reread them but I dont think I will be doing that anytime soon...there is simply too many of the-never-read-books and never-seen-TV-shows out there!
The Kurt Wallender  crime fiction set in Sweden are :

1 Faceless killers 1997
2 The dogs of Riga 2001
3 The man who smiled 2005
4 The white lioness 1998
5 Sidetracked 1999
6 The fifth woman 2000
7 One step behind 2002
8 The pyramid 2008(These are a compilation of short stories of Kurt Wallender)
9 An event in autumn 2014 (This is a really short novel)
10 The troubled man 2011
11Firewall 2002
12 Before the frost 2005

The three crime novels by Steig Larsson set in Sweden i.e. The girl with the dragon tattoo series was ubiquitous a few years ago in Toronto and I finally read them. I enjoyed all 3 books by Larsson and the 4th in the series by the new author too; I especially loved the courtroom scene in the third book.
The books are:
The girl in the dragon tattoo

The girl who played with fire
The girl who kicked the hornets nest
The girl in the spider's web by David Lagercrantz

Maybe there are other books set in Sweden which I have read but unable to recall as I write this piece.

Reading another Sweden based book  'Never screw'up' by 'Jens Lapidus' now (Aug 2016) and liking it. It's a debut novel.



  •  

  • No comments:

    I will never go to Bombey Bhel at Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada ever again! It's an expensive rip off, serving sub-par tasting food!

     Today, October 14, 2023 I got chicken vindaloo paying 22$...All I got was 2 small pieces of chicken, 3 pieces of potato....and. very averag...