Sunday, February 17, 2019

Saw deer while driving on DVP, Toronto, February 15 & 16 2019

I  saw a deer, just behind my house (in the ravine, running along the DVP, East York)  for the first time on December 12, 2015. I was excited to see this majestic deer, with  huge antlers walking slowly by...right behind my backyard! 

I come from Bangalore, India, where urban wild-life (squirrels, birds like sparrows and crows, lizards, geckos, snakes, insects like butterflies) is disappearing due to increasing population of people and their crass  disregard to nature.  Coming from Bangalore, my gratitude and appreciation for nature is, therefore more than a native Torontonian's. 

Now, three years later, I saw deer again, two days in a row, when driving on the DVP. ( just after the Leaside bridge and before the exit to O'Connor drive). I saw three deer, on Feb 15, 2019 around 2 pm and one deer on Feb 16 around 3.30 pm, a bit more north along the DVP. 

There are deer in the Toronto ravines at all times. But this time the deer were 'visible' . The ravine was covered with white snow and the trees were like stick figures...zero leaves. The white  snow-covered ground with leafless trees enhanced the visibility in the ravine, tremendously. The deer whose colouring was exactly like the trees, still stood out clearly on the snow-covered ground..by their rounded contours. Two were nuzzling each others's necks and one was standing alone. The second day, I saw a solitary deer, same brown skin, sitting on the snow. 

The first day, we parked at the nearest possible spot and walked through the ravine but could not find the three deer.  It was impossible to photograph them, when driving at 90km an hour!

It makes me so happy to know that there are deer in my backyard!
Who knows? I may even spot the smaller animals like  rabbits, foxes, coyotes and skunks due to the clarity and visibility offered by the snow-covered ground. 

No comments:

I will never go to Bombey Bhel at Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada ever again! It's an expensive rip off, serving sub-par tasting food!

 Today, October 14, 2023 I got chicken vindaloo paying 22$...All I got was 2 small pieces of chicken, 3 pieces of potato....and. very averag...