Monday, May 11, 2015

CRIME FICTION SET IN THAILAND

Garden of hell : a Father Ananda mystery


by Nick Wilgus 
    

This is the only Thailand based crime fiction which I have read. It was okay reading  though the writing is a bit dry at places.(maybe because the author was once a journalist). We get to see the seedy side of Buddhist monasteries in Thailand and that really broke my heart! I always naively thought of Buddhists as mild, gentle, good, etc and it was rather sad to discover that bad Buddhist monks & monasteries exist!
An unusual and new thing for me in this book  is that the chief 'detective' is a Buddhist monk! He's actually a retired police officer who has now become a monk. I have read books where the main protagonist in the book was a Christina monk but this is the first Buddhist monk-detective.
This was the second book in the Father Ananda series.


Mindfulness and murder is the first book in the series which I am yet to borrow from the library.

Killer Karma is the 3rd book in this series.

No comments:

I will never go to Bombey Bhel at Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada ever again! It's an expensive rip off, serving sub-par tasting food!

 Today, October 14, 2023 I got chicken vindaloo paying 22$...All I got was 2 small pieces of chicken, 3 pieces of potato....and. very averag...