Wednesday, November 8, 2017

DISTILLERY DISTRICT IN TORONTO

Distillery district in Toronto is  one of my favorite places to take friends and family visiting Toronto. I love the old limestone buildings with green windows and doors. I love the brick buildings and the brick-paved streets within. The limestone building with the green windows for some reason reminds me of KEB office in the Majestic area  and 'quarters'  for staff in Rammandir or second block Rajajinagar area of Bangalore! It must be that green paint on the windows which links the two in my brain I suppose.
I wonder if there is someone reading this blog who has seen both Distillery district and the KEB buildings in Bangalore I am talking about? I am not sure if those buildings still exist or the corrupt government has snatched them all. Do you recall the sapota trees outside everyone of those KEB quarters? the green windows and pale yellow color bungalows? the bus route (71, 72 80, 81 of those days)ran in front of those bungalows.
Coming back to Distillery district...I love drinking hot cider in the cooler months in Balzac's. I enjoy window shopping in the artist's workshops. The jewelry artists, the carpenters and woodwork artists, the pottery artists. I also enjoy the shops with unusual and designer household ware, though I rarely buy anything as most things are out of my price range. I also enjoy the art work on display in the galleries. Walking around leisurely, stopping for food or drink in one of the cafes within, browsing in the shops and art galleries can take anywhere between one and half to three hours, depending on your speed. You can click several photos too but none of the photos can capture the ambience of the district. I always get something from the SOMA chocolate maker. People who love chocolates and live in Toronto should visit this.
Distillery district has Christmas market which is fun to visit.  I,  being frugal, earning little and also living in a home overflowing with things I refuse to throw, I do not buy but just browse the delightful items in this market.  I feel bad for the sellers but I have to look out for myself...I feel guilty that I don't buy, but what to do?

















No comments:

I will never go to Bombey Bhel at Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada ever again! It's an expensive rip off, serving sub-par tasting food!

 Today, October 14, 2023 I got chicken vindaloo paying 22$...All I got was 2 small pieces of chicken, 3 pieces of potato....and. very averag...