Saturday, December 23, 2017

De Young Fine Arts Museum in San Fransisco, California, USA

Visited this museum yesterday with my sister. Here are a few photos. 
The museum is in The Golden Gates Park and so there's plenty to see and do around it also. 
Just opposite to this museum is the California Academy of Sciences, a science museum. 
Nearby is the Japanese Tea Garden and also the Conservatory of flowers.
 The De Young charges 15-00$ for adults and this excludes the special exhibits, which  I think is not fair! My sister and I wanted to see the special exhibit i.e. the Klimt & Rodin art works, shown at The Legion of Honor (this is a few minutes drive away... the De Young ticket holds good for the Legion of Honor if you visit the same day) 


In the photo  above is the buildings of this museum. The building at the front is looong and I have not captured the entire length of the building in this photo. The Y shaped building at the back has an  observatory deck on the 9th floor where you can see San Fransisco from all sides and the view is lovely!
 This building's shape is not traditional and it's seems to consist of angular blocks arranged at angles and above is the sky from inside the building...an open to sky space, between the angular blocks of the building. Also the entire building's exterior looked like metal

My husband takes great photos of  the spaces like the ones here ...my skills are unfortunately rather limited. 



 Above is a giant pin, one of the  outdoor sculptures of the museum.



Above is one of the twin grumpy sphinx in front of the De Young Museum



Above is the roof of one part of the building; photo taken when standing on the observatory deck. 

In the photo below,  can you see the building with three small domes on top? That is the science museum, opposite the De Young Museum. And between the two is a beautiful garden 











Above is psychedelic art....the threads are psychedelic and patterns made on cloth, etc. The room was dark and the colors glowed! My sister looked at me and I was startled to see her eyes look a weird color! (Like when you take photos of animals in the dark and their eyes have a weird scary glow)


Below is embroidery art from all over the world...



 The above two are from Kutch of Gujarat and below is from nearby Pakistan.


 In this hat above, I am not sure if you can see, but the threads are so close and tightly stitched, it's such an intensive amount of labour....I love embroidered works....but other emotions surge in heart when I see embroidery as there is a lot of exploitation of women and the poor for this embroidery....children and women, poorly paid and hardly able to cover the cost of their food and shelter, do this work in many countries. Their eye sight gets damaged at a young age as they are engaged in this work for hours each day; the children drop out of school and are denied an education. 
I
 Above is a ? blouse from France or Germany I think
 Above was my favorite piece! I loved it's bright colors! I think it is from Pakistan but not sure
 The above an indigo dyed piece from Japan



The three works of art below are oil paints and this collection is noted for it's realistic looks.  They are so bloody good! YOu can see the fine hair on the berries below. The artist has captured the exact  dried texture/color on the inside of the drying orange peel and the crumpled texture of the paper covering the oranges! It was amazing!





Below is glass work...glass mould of a dress?


 I found the guy above cute!
 The piece above is an amazing piece in glass
 The piece above and below are of glass. I have never seen glass work like this




This IS a chair but the painting on it makes me wonder if the artist is  trying to make the  chair seem to the viewer to be two dimensional...like a painting on a paper?




 Above and below is art made on found objects.. do you see the fox on the tin here?
 Below is a large beautiful, glowing hanging on the wall of golden color tin, stitched together...it is from discarded cans. This photo does not do justice to the real thing ( I don't know how to adjust light in my cellphone camera). I have seen similar art work in another museum.
 Below is paint ?sprayed on discarded materials such as ropes. etc
 Below is a painting on discarded wood...I loved the color-combination.




 What is it with me and bright colors? I loved this piece above!
Above is the biggest TV I have seen...in the lobby of the museum, held by giant hands

Below are lovely Aloe Vera flowers I saw, as I walked towards the museum. I have seen these Aloe Vera plants in pots in Canada, but never seen a single flower. I discovered that Aloe Vera is a flowering plant today! The Canadian cold does not  bring out the best or the fullest in some plants.





No comments:

I will never go to Bombey Bhel at Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada ever again! It's an expensive rip off, serving sub-par tasting food!

 Today, October 14, 2023 I got chicken vindaloo paying 22$...All I got was 2 small pieces of chicken, 3 pieces of potato....and. very averag...