Saturday, August 11, 2018

NEVER ever gift a pet to practicing Jains !

Most people are aware of Buddhism but few outside India are aware of Jainism and Jains. Devout and practicing Jains  lead a way of life similar to practicing Buddhists.  The founder of Jainism, Mahavira, preached and practiced principles similar to that preached by the Buddha.

My friend's family are practicing Jains, ergo they don't eat meat, dont kill insects, practice non-violence to 'extreme' levels...I am labelling their behaviours as ''extreme'' but they see themselves as normal and merely following their religion's tenets.

To cut a long story short, someone gifted this family with a pup. They looked after this pup with love and affection. However, their religion, forbids them from disciplining and this has sort of let matters get out of control. The matriarch of the family will not let the others scold the pup and this has lead to severe problems.

The most terrifying aspect of this dog is the ticks it's got from somewhere. The family does NOT kill the ticks as it's against their religion. The ticks are pulled out and taken outside the house and dropped off! There are ticks all over the house and they have started biting the family too. In fact, one of the family members had a tick inside  her ear and after suffering from agonizing itching and pain, went to a doctor who removed the tick and informed her that there are eggs inside her ear and he needs to do something about it!

The family knows what needs to be done but absolutely refuse to get the medicine to free the dogs of it's ticks. I admire their staunch adherence to their principle of non-violence, despite their own suffering but I could never be this non-violent! For me, to slap a mosquito biting my arm is an automatic and unconscious act! To chase a cockroach and stomp it to death, gives me a sense of accomplishment. To 'frown and talk sternly' to my  cat when it's bugging me is routine. To yell at my husband when he bugs me is something which happens so often. I think, I commit at least one violent act every hour and maybe many in a hour sometimes!

I think living a life like a practicing Jain would be aspirational for me...NOT practical. But imagine if all of us, aspired to live like this? Wha would happen? The fishing industry, poultry industry, meat industry, ammunition factories, would shut down...the industries depending on animals would be in chaos, at least those industries which depend on 'killing' animals rather than waiting for dead animals.  The economy as it stands today, would be in chaos...at least for a while. 
Maybe, someone should make a movie with this theme and picturize how the world would be if it were to turn non-violent. It would be totally topsy-turvy! 

No comments:

I will never go to Bombey Bhel at Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada ever again! It's an expensive rip off, serving sub-par tasting food!

 Today, October 14, 2023 I got chicken vindaloo paying 22$...All I got was 2 small pieces of chicken, 3 pieces of potato....and. very averag...