Sunday, August 2, 2020

Visit to Toronto zoo July 31, 2020 : to celebrate post-Covid reopening!

After our last visit  in 2004, we visited the Toronto zoo again, in 2020. We booked tickets online (tickets NOT sold at zoo due to Covid) and also reserved the time slot of the visit. We had a great time walking through the zoo. (They also have a drive through) We had some french fries and cold drinks inside the zoo after a couple of hours. We needed a good 4-5 hours and I felt a bit tired at the end as I have not walked for ages and it was a bit hot and humid.
Below is our expenses and it would have been a bit less if we were members or seniors or kids.

Ticket per adult:27.99 X 2 = 55.98
Parking:14.00
Taxes:7.28
Total: 77.26

Walking through the zoo and seeing the lovely animals in the limited spaces I realized the truth of why people want zoos to be abolished. I was deeply saddened to see  huge animals like the tiger, pacing back and forth endlessly in the limited space it had. And the polar bear swimming endlessly in a very short space (it was swimming back and forth repeatedly, in a very short stretch of the pool..maybe 20 meters or less. The pool was bigger but it was swimming only in one spot on a very short stretch). I saw the jaguar and leopard sleeping side by side which is possibly unnatural in the jungle. The lion and the giraffes were relatively still in their spaces. I suppose  they are now used to the restricted space they are living in the zoo while their natural need/instinct/behavior to roam the jungle is repressed or dead.

I have been going stir crazy the past few months (Covid-2020) as I have been forced to stay at home, not allowed to travel and not work at my office. Can you imagine how these poor animals feel, being restricted their entire life to tiny spaces?

The animals which seemed to me, not bothered by the restricted spaces were the herbivorous animals grazing on the grass such as the deer and bisons. I also believe that the tiny primates seemed active and therefore I assume were happy. But I felt really sorry for the bigger primates, sitting passively in their albeit enriched space.

If there was some ethical, painless way for the human population to reduce by 90% and the world go back to all the other species from whom we humans have grabbed the land, air and water from, the world would become a better place.

Below are a few photos.




above Arctic dog I think....I hope this relentless heat and humidity of Toronto summer is not bothering it too much. If it is, then, we  humans are guilty of subjecting it to unnatural cruelty.




































No comments:

I will never go to Bombey Bhel at Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada ever again! It's an expensive rip off, serving sub-par tasting food!

 Today, October 14, 2023 I got chicken vindaloo paying 22$...All I got was 2 small pieces of chicken, 3 pieces of potato....and. very averag...