Saturday, January 16, 2021

Help! I have developed addiction during Covid!

Hooked to  an over-the-top violence and nude-sex scenes filled show on Crave and cannot seem to stop my watching binge!


The show is Banshee starring Antony Starr. I cannot stomach this degree of gore and violence and avoid shows with gore. But for this show, I am able to manage to tolerate the gore (I close my eyes, mute the sound and take brief peeks to check if the scene is over) and continue watching this show. 

I am analyzing myself here to understand why I am hooked to this show. 

With the value/ethics of working from 9-5, Monday to Friday, deeply instilled in me, I have been going through a vague sense of guilt on and off since the start of Covid and 'work-from-home' style of working.  (though I have NO reason to feel guilty) I try to feel less guilty by reading books about my subject to 'update my repertoire of skills and be well versed in the latest knowledge in the field'. Also I do some household chores to reduce this guilt. In the past, I would watch, 'guilt-free' shows in the evenings after I return from work. Even now, I watch shows in the evenings though I am at home all day due to Covid lockdown.  I keep myself busy in the day-time by doing household chores and reading novels, news and of course my work related books. However, since I started binging on Banshee, I have started watching this show in the mornings when I wake! I feel terribly guilty about it, but cannot resist.  I am so hooked! 

Reasons why I like this show and why I am hooked;

Good acting

Good looking actors

Hoon Lee, the actor who plays the role of Job: I absolutely loved this guy! I have never seen someone like this character before and to me, a lot of the show's charm comes from Job.

Good script

The sparse talk: I absolutely loved the 'lessness' of talk on this show. Indian movies should take a cue from this. Indian shows' characters take 100 words to say  something which can be said in 10.

The quiet rural setting

The fact that there are a few Amish 'bad' apples which is shocking to me. (Am I so naive that I think all Amish people are good? Yes. I am that naive. It's like believing in fairy stories and mythology and fantasy novels. I feel good, optimistic and continue to enjoy this world instead of being cynical and distrusting.

The fast-pace of the plot:I think this is the chief reason for me to continue to be hooked to this show. There is never a dull moment with this.

The unrealism of the plot: I think this is a crucial reason I am watching it despite the violence and gore. I know, it's too unreal to be true and so I am not feeling disturbed by it. Often, in many crime shows, the realism disturbs me and the entertainment value is vastly reduced for me. 

What I did not like about this show: Brought up as a goody two shoes, I  cannot accept the continuing thievery of the main characters; I simply cannot stand or even understand how one of the lead female characters goes from being a mildly rebellious teenager who broke a few of her Amish family's rules to what she rapidly changed into and started doing...as a psychologist, I cannot see where that change came from, with such speed!


I hope I don't see any show like this for at least a few months. I need time to regurgitate this show in my mind, build my own fantasies around it and wallow in the scenes. I will be ready for a similar such show after 6 months maybe?




No comments:

I will never go to Bombey Bhel at Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada ever again! It's an expensive rip off, serving sub-par tasting food!

 Today, October 14, 2023 I got chicken vindaloo paying 22$...All I got was 2 small pieces of chicken, 3 pieces of potato....and. very averag...