Monday, May 21, 2018

Some random greenery I loved and photographed in London, Glasgow and Edinburgh


We stayed in a hotel in Greenwich and walked daily to the Lee station every morning to sight-see London. I enjoyed looking at the gardens on the way to the station. Here are a few photos of the flora in Greenich, London and in other parts of England I visited.

 Above is some soft textured grass I saw in a home and below are the flowers of a tree.
Below are leaves from creepers poking through the gaps in the fences, as I walked on the road. The green looked  pretty against the grey wood. 








I saw these yellow flowers above and white ones below in Canada too

 Above two photos are of flowers growing wild, outside the Lee train station. If such flowers grew wild in my home town, Bangalore, they would not have survived the onslaught of people even for a day!

 Above is close up of Holly leaves and berries and below is the whole damn Holly bush as tall as a two story house! I have never seen such a big Holly bush or tree in  Canada. 
 In Toronto, Canada the only time you see Holly is at Christmas time and the  only 'size' of the plants is 'small'; This Holly bush was in a house in the Greenwich area of London.

 Above are flowers of a lovely pale purple in a tree and below are a gentle blue flowers with soft hairy looking stuff in a bush.  When I saw these flowers, I recalled the poem I had in school called  'Come down to Kew in Lilac time'. As a school-going-child, reading this lovely poem, I never dreamt,  that one day, many decades later, I would be so close to Kew gardens at Lilac time! I will visit Kew gardens if, I visit London again and read this beloved poem there!

When writing this blog, I checked out Alfred Noyes's 'Come down to Kew in Lilac time',  a poem I had in school.  Now, 45 years later, I am discovering that  this poem  is much longer than the 3 paragraphs I had in school! 


 Below are flowers and green at the Edinburgh castle which I visited in may 2018. I enjoyed this town too. It's full of lovely castle type buildings 








 I have dandelions at home in Canada too. But my heart went out to  this  resilient stubborn guy growing in this volcanic rock surface with little or no mud and definitely no water !
 This lovely bunch of flowering plants in the window of a shop in Edinburgh added to the charm of this already lovely city. 

Greenery looks lovelier when framed by the black rocks of a castle! 





 And below is greenery outside the castle.


 Below is the lovely English greenery I have always heard of and finally got to see!


No comments:

I will never go to Bombey Bhel at Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada ever again! It's an expensive rip off, serving sub-par tasting food!

 Today, October 14, 2023 I got chicken vindaloo paying 22$...All I got was 2 small pieces of chicken, 3 pieces of potato....and. very averag...