Friday, May 29, 2020

Happy memories from childhood: Reading fairy tales in Malleshwaram library

Today, May 27, 2020 it was a warm 22 degree celsius in the morning at 5.30 in Toronto.

Walking my cat in the warm morning sunshine in the garden, memories of reading my favorite fairy stories flooded into my brain, transporting me to a  4 decade old joyful experience.

I would visit my cousins living in Malleshwaram during the holidays. After a lovely breakfast cooked by my dear aunt, I would walk to the government library nearby. No one today seems to recall the old location of this library. I remember that the library was at the back of a building and the entrance to the library faced a large lawn. I would read the fairy stories such as Snow white and Rose red, Snow white and the Seven dwarfs, Little Red Riding Hood. What I loved most about these stories were the lovely paintings by Eric Winter. Every page with the story was followed by a page with a paining to illustrate the story and so half the book was of these lovely paintings. I am sure the kids loved and enjoyed the paintings for the stories as much as I did!
I would keep looking at those lovely paintings for ages and reluctantly leave the library to return to my aunt's house, so that she would not worry about me going missing.

Here are the photos of my beloved books


















I have seen these same stories published by the same (ladybird) publisher in later days and published by other publishers from different parts of the world. I have not liked or enjoyed the other pictures as much as these by Eric Winter. 


No comments:

I will never go to Bombey Bhel at Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada ever again! It's an expensive rip off, serving sub-par tasting food!

 Today, October 14, 2023 I got chicken vindaloo paying 22$...All I got was 2 small pieces of chicken, 3 pieces of potato....and. very averag...