Monday, October 23, 2017

BOTANICAL BUILDING IN BALBOA PARK, SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA, USA



If you visit San Diego, California, please do spend a day in the Balboa park. There are many things to see and do here. Many museums, many gardens and of course the art village.


Above is the botanical building..built in 1915-16 and supposed to be one of the largest lathe structures in the world. It has a lovely lily pond in front and the building is much wider than this photo shows! It was full of the most beautiful, colorful flowers, berries and plants. I was amazed to see that ferns grow to such large sizes on walls with limited water and soil.

Above is the doom-roof from inside. It's all wood and the plants have crept out between the lathes.

above are ferns or some plants growing on barks of trees inside this building

above is a fern I think--it's growing with hardly any soil, on the WALL above the ground. It's huge and I am curious where it gets it's sustenance to grow into such a big thing.


Above is one of the many orchids I saw in this building.


I loved this tightly curled thing...it's almost like a worm, which has curled up for safety!


This is another fern or plant, growing on a tree. It's brother is shown in one of the photos above, growing on a wall.. it's base or roots on a piece of wood on the wall.
This too is a plant, growing on a tree trunk I think

 same thing...grown to a huge extent on a tree's trunk
This beauty is growing on a damn wall! Where does it get it's nutrition from? Cement? Paint? I am awed by this phenomenon! I  now accept that people who  fast for 40 days and survive are really fasting and not cheating as I previously thought!

Cactus. Cactus. Where do you get your food from?

 Above is the Venus fly catcher ...I think. Reminds me of my middle school biology lesson with carnivorous plants section. I never forgot that bit of biology as it was fascinating and unbelievable. Also we had no Google or good 'imported'  books in those days to see at least color photos of such plants.

Believe you me, these leaves are huge and more than 2 feet wide and 2.5 feet wide.
 Above and below are a few orchids in the botanical building.




Below are two of the several cactus or California state plants I think.



No comments:

I will never go to Bombey Bhel at Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada ever again! It's an expensive rip off, serving sub-par tasting food!

 Today, October 14, 2023 I got chicken vindaloo paying 22$...All I got was 2 small pieces of chicken, 3 pieces of potato....and. very averag...