Monday, October 23, 2017

EAST EUROPEAN ICONS FROM TIMKEN MUSEUM, BALBOA PARK, SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA, USA

 
Below are icons of  East Europe found in the Timken museum at Balboa Park.. I went to this museum as it was free. I love Russian icons as the art is different from the west European style. They remind me of what was popular in the 60s in India...silver or gold coloured Hindu God  etchings on tin, covered with glass on a photo frame. These were, ubiquitous to middle class homes in Bangalore. They were given as wedding gifts too. I believe these tin Gods on photo frames are available even now.
I have a soft corner for these icons for a few reasons. For one, I am religiously inspired when I see them. When I see the west European art i.e. oil paintings by old masters  of Christ and Mary, I am inspired by their aesthetics and  beauty but I don't feel religious when I see them.
 











In the above art work, if you observe, the art-work appears to be gauche. I suppose one could call it naïve art or folk art. Despite the  gaucheness,  it  inspires religious feelings in me, unlike the west European works about Christ or Mary or the saints.












 Above reminds me of  paintings of Yashodha & Krishna, in Mysore  art...the expressions on Yashodha's face and Mary's face are akin.



Above painting has  metal halos, round the head...it's NOT painted but probably nailed on











 Above and below, it's metal hammered on paintings. I loved many of the frames too in this museum.







No comments:

I will never go to Bombey Bhel at Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada ever again! It's an expensive rip off, serving sub-par tasting food!

 Today, October 14, 2023 I got chicken vindaloo paying 22$...All I got was 2 small pieces of chicken, 3 pieces of potato....and. very averag...