Monday, October 2, 2017

THE KNIFE SLIPPED...ERLE STANLEY GARDNER 1939, PUBLISHED 2016!

Today, October 2nd 2017, I woke at 5.30am. It was too cold to get out of bed and I reached over to the I Pad lying beside me.  Went to emails and deleted the junk mail that comes every day. For the last many years, I hardly ever get emails from friends or people I know...most emails I get are junk or official.
I never go to news when I start the computer like many people do...I don't want  bad news when I wake...shootings, bombings, war...I want to wake up to something good.

Browsing through the various emails, I spotted a favorite email I get twice a month i.e. the SKYM newsletter i.e. Stop you are killing me. This is a newsletter about the latest crime fiction published and I love reading the brief bits about different crime novels published.  When running my eyes over the email, I spotted a book called 'The knife slipped' authored by one of my all time favorites, Erle Stanley Gardner. I had never heard of this book and clicking on the link, I discovered that it was the second in my favorite Gardner series i.e. the Bertha Cool and Donald Lam series! The publisher had refused to publish this book in 1939 as it was 'too profane' and it was forgotten until 2016 when it was discovered and printed for the first time!

Can you imagine my delight, at discovering that there's  one more book,  in my favorite series by a favorite author which I have NEVER read! Can you imagine the pleasure of waiting to get my hands on this book and devour it!

I felt so happy to wake up to this wonderful discovery. The sheer joy of  waiting to read this book is so wonderful I cannot describe it. I am so grateful that I have been granted this happy incident or accident...a favorite author whose book was refused publication in 1939. And now it's published nearly 70+ years later and I find it!
I have booked this book and it's available in my dearest Toronto Public Library. I am sure I will get it in a few days and I look forward to livening up a few  winter evenings with this book.

November 2017: SPOILER ALERT. I read the book and loved it. After reading, I disagree with the publisher's stated reason for refusing publication i.e.  'the book is too profane to be published'.  This is  the only book in the series where a certain government agency is corrupt and I believe that the publisher did not want to draw the ire of this agency by publishing this book. What do you think?


No comments:

I will never go to Bombey Bhel at Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada ever again! It's an expensive rip off, serving sub-par tasting food!

 Today, October 14, 2023 I got chicken vindaloo paying 22$...All I got was 2 small pieces of chicken, 3 pieces of potato....and. very averag...