Monday, March 16, 2020

Random photos from Big Island trip

Above...we visited the Hilo Farmers market by the sea and enjoyed the15 minutes roaming there.
Below are the fresh produce and the vendors.
 I could not believe that 'Adike' or areca nut grows in 'America'. This is something my family grew in my village in Karnataka in India.  I found this being sold in the farmer's market. I wonder who buys eat and how they use it.

 Above and below; colorful cocoa nuts...chocolates are made from the beans in this nut



 what better place to meditate? Under the shady trees, with the ocean before you, a gentle breeze wafting by, the continuous sounds of the waves reaching the shore and receding, few people around to disturb you and no human sounds, ideal temperature...not too cold and not too hot and a bright sun above. And if you are lucky, a turtle may come by to meditate/sleep/rest near you! I loved this spot on the beach! The beauty of Big Island is the lack of people, the wonderful weather and the absence of human sounds. I could sit here with my books and never leave!

Below is a turtle in the sea , swimming slowly...a relaxing sight to watch.

 Of the hundreds of coconut trees, I saw during my 7 day Hawaii Big Island trip, THIS coconut tree inside the airport was the ONLY tree I saw without it's leaves or nuts chopped off. All the other 1000 trees I saw had at least half their leaves chopped off and not even one tree had nuts in them. WHY? That is still puzzling me.

I saw this sign on Alii road and wondered what is a barefoot zone?

Below is the Hawaii beer we enjoyed with our lunch.


 Below and above is the trnacity of the roots of this tree, clinging to the volcanic rock it's growing on/in/under/above.

 Above ...wild horse...below wild cock...also saw plenty of wild mongooses but simply could not photograph them. They were so quick and always moving.  Apparently there are wild pigs too roaming this island. These creatures ubiquitousness to Big Island is 'proved' by the Tshirts sold in the souvenir shops.... T shirts with horses, cocks, mongoose and boars 

Below. Can you see the sand patterns under the water on this beach? This was a lovely beach... great for people with toddlers and kids as the waters were quiet and shallow, there was shade, not many people, etc. There were some beaches where it was impossible to get parking. So we would simply snapped a couple of photos and leave.

 Above is a Eucalyptus tree. I did not know it was also called as the Rainbow tree ...due to this lovely colorful shades on it. I saw this in the Waipua Valley when we went down.
 Above is a lovely red, delicate thready flower. This grows in India too.
 Above...the petals from a tree, seem to be blown into this formation round a puddle by the tree.
 Above, a bright yellow bird, like a finch...I saw this bird quite often, flying  in groups at times.
 Above...this may be part of a native Hawaii person's grave. I saw one with fruit offerings by the grave. This one was by the sea.
 Hawaii'a Big Island is famous for 'shaved ice'. Ice is shaved and sprayed with different sweet coloured liquids.  I enjoyed this one in Kona's farmer's market on Alii road.
 Above and below...this volcanic rock compound topped by colorful Bogunvilla on Alii Road was so charming...reminded me of Isla Mujre in Cancun of Mexico.


 Above...we would sit here and enjoy watching swimmers. This was close to our hotel (Kona seaside hotel). Our daily breakfast was here at a restaurant and we could see the sea, the people, the sun rise. it was lovely partaking breakfast enjoying this view daily for a week!
 Above ...an ocean liner with tourists near Big Island
 Above and below...you see these parrots on Alii Road. they belong to an old man. he charges 20$ to take a photo of these birds sitting on your arm.

Below. This sign seems to me that maybe all people of Hawaii are not happy about being 'Americans'. Some want to break away from USA and be independent.


That bit of trees growing on this hill seemed a bit weird to me. This was on our drive to the norht of the island.
Above was a green hill and below is a red hill...with no growth whatsoever! This is all volcanic rock and mud...this was while driving around Mauna Kea I think



No comments:

I will never go to Bombey Bhel at Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada ever again! It's an expensive rip off, serving sub-par tasting food!

 Today, October 14, 2023 I got chicken vindaloo paying 22$...All I got was 2 small pieces of chicken, 3 pieces of potato....and. very averag...