Saturday, October 24, 2020

Discovered Lilly Singh's videos on Youtube today Oct 24, 2020 and loved them!

 Lilly Singh has been around for quite a while but it was only today I saw her videos and loved them. They are exaggerated but funny.

Also saw three shows this week which I liked

1)The American barbecue showdown :  (Netflix) I generally don't watch documentaries or reality shows but I really enjoyed this. The main attraction was that the characters (judges and participants) were NOT 'over-the-top'. The participants were not competitive in a 'cut-throat' way and even gave each other a helping hand and were kind and empathetic when another competitor was feeling low. I had no clue about the intricacies of barbecuing such as the differences in the way different parts of the animal should be cooked, etc. I learnt so much and it really inspired me to explore this type of cooking. The music was great and I also loved the fact that 'clothes' and 'face make-up'  of the participants and judges was low-key... Another thing I loved about this show is that the participants needed a whole lot of creativity, multiple talents related to all aspects of the barbecuing such as maintaining the fire, building the fire pits, guessing about foreign cuisines they were unfamiliar with and and creating based on their guesses and so on. 

2) The sounds : (On CBC) this is a Canadian -New Zealand show. Only three episodes have aired till now. What attracted me to this show was the character Esther Ishikawa.  I am fascinated  by her acting/character... her personality or character is different from the ones  usually seen on shows. 

(another character of another show I am fascinated by .. a character who's unusual and I believe it's difficult to act like that part is Alexis Rose in Schitt's creek)

3)Pure: (On CBC) This too is a Canadian show (Maybe Canadian-American-Mexican) which is about crime (drug smuggling) in the Mennonite community! Knowing what I know about the Mennonite community, this is an impossible premise!  I have seen all the aired episodes  and waiting for the next. 

><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

Poor people have very little...very little choice....or nothing...or no choice at all. Years ago, I did not have the books I wanted to read...the 'English' movies I loved, did not come to Bangalore or I could not go see them as the theatres were too far. I badly wanted to see American and British TV shows but very few could be seen in India. And I saw, loved and enjoyed all that I could get!

Cut now to 2020, Toronto Canada.... Unlimited books...whatever type I want from the Toronto public library. Several shows and movies.. on Netflix, Bell's on demand, etc. Lots of time, thanks to 'work- from-home-due-to-covid' With so much choice and time on my hands, I consider myself as 'rich people' now. Yet,  I am bored and disgruntled and feel listless. I read a few pages of the novels and lose interest.  I watch  very few, select f shows and movies of the umpteen ones available. I also don't have the mood to do chores around the home. 

I think I got more joy & excitement;  and felt more gratitude when I was 'poor' and had lesser choices than  I do at present. I now truly believe that 'Having less is More' and 'Having more is actually Less'. What do you think?


No comments:

I will never go to Bombey Bhel at Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada ever again! It's an expensive rip off, serving sub-par tasting food!

 Today, October 14, 2023 I got chicken vindaloo paying 22$...All I got was 2 small pieces of chicken, 3 pieces of potato....and. very averag...